Thursday, June 13, 2019

Laundry: No One’s Favorite Chore


Laundry happens to be one of those necessities or household chores that I really dislike doing. Perhaps it’s because I have so many clothes that it’s a time consuming process just to do multiple loads of laundry. Perhaps it’s because I wish it was as easy as putting it in the washer and dryer when in reality, sorting and folding laundry takes the most time.


Overall, I feel like if I had the choice between laundry and any other chore around the house, I’d always choose the other chore. Always.

For us at our apartment, our laundry hookup is in the basement and yet our bedrooms and closets and dirty clothes are all upstairs in our rooms. So it takes multiple trips up and down multiple flights of stairs, and that alone can be annoying to deal with. The other thing that gets me is we only have one laundry basket, so when I do make multiple trips up and down the stairs to bring loads to and from our room to the basement, I run out of things to use to hold the laundry since it’s usually occupied by other clean, folded laundry. Heck, this causes me to scrounge for items that could be useful in the process, like cardboard boxes or even just strongarming it all down to the basement in my hands.


I’m certain that if the laundry and my closet were on the same floor, I’d have a much less hate filled relationship with doing laundry. But until then, until we move out of our apartment, I’ll be annoyed at the thought of folding clothes and taking baskets and cardboard boxes full of laundry up and down the stairs.

It’s funny too since I used to hate doing laundry in high school as a chore. I would always fight with my brother over who had to do the laundry. We’d literally bargain and divvy out chores in a way that we preferred, almost as if we were drafting chores back and forth for the day.

Ultimately, I think if we had a laundry chute, more closet space, and a bigger washer and dryer, laundry truly wouldn’t be that much of a hassle. But since there are so many steps to actually doing it, I end up spending an entire evening washing clothes, drying them, folding them, and transporting them twice. It’s all a bit much for me. Heck, I’d far prefer to clean the dishes or cook dinner than mess with laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Laundry: No One’s Favorite Chore

Laundry happens to be one of those necessities or household chores that I really dislike doing. Perhaps it’s because I have so many cl...